‘Abusive’ mother of girl wrote that daughter was ‘crying wolf’ as she streemed suicide on Facebook


The mother of a Florida girl who streamed her suicide on Facebook Live has been accused of watching as her daughter killed herself and mocking her with messages on the post suggesting she was seeking attention and crying wolf.

Gina Caze did nothing to stop her daughter Nakia Venant, 14, from committing suicide as the foster child broadcast her death in Miami in late January, a damning report from a child services department says.

The Florida Department of Children and Families said Cazec even criticized her  daughter as she watched the two-hour long Facebook Live video, calling Venant a ‘custody jit’ and and that she was a ‘crying wolf…seeking attention’, the department said Monday.

Caze had a troublesome relationship with her daughter, as Venant was taken away from her due to physical abuse concerns.

But the mother has strenuously denied she made the comments as she watched her daughter die.

Nakia Venant, 14,  committed sucide and broacast her death in a Facebook Live on January 22   Gina Caze is accused of doing nothing to stop her daughter as she watched the Facebook Live, it was reported on Monday

Caze is accused of mocking her daughter as she watched the two-hour long Facebook Live video, calling Venant a 'custody jit' and that she was 'crying wolf...seeking attention'

Venant was living with a foster family at the time of her death and was found hanged from the door frame in the bathroom, by Miami-Dade police. 

The comments to Venant were made from Caze’s Facebook account with the user name Gina Alexis, reported Tampa Bay Times.

One of the messages left said: ‘#ADHD games played u sad little DCF custody jit that’s why u where u at for this dumb s–t n more u keep crying wolf u dead u will get buried life goes on after a jit that doesn’t listen to there parents trying to be grown seeking boys and girls attention instead of her books.’

The 14-year-old’s short life was riddled with stints in foster homes, after she was taken away from Caze in 2009 because there were concerns that Venant was being physically abused by her mother.

Too late: Nakia's friend saw the broadcast online and alerted police, but by the time they arrived, the seventh-grader had died   Venant's foster parents were reportedly asleep at the time of her suicide

Caze had a troublesome relationship with her daughter but denied the comments came from her, insisting that she was offline when the messages were posted

Following her removal from Caze’s care, Venant was in foster care for 28 months over the course of eight years. At one point she was passed around to 14 different homes in the span of 16 months.

The DCF claim that she displayed inappropriate sexual behavior and that she admitted in a therapy session that she had seen pornographic videos and slept in the same room as Caze’s boyfriends.

In 2010 she was placed back in the care of Caze, only to be removed in 2014, but was then later returned after social workers insisted it was for the best.

She is survived by a younger brotherA year later, her mother relinquished custody, saying that she no longer wanted the teenager but remained in contact with her through social media sites.

On January 22, Venant decided to take to Facebook Live as she hanged herself in the bathroom.

One of the girl’s friends told the Miami Herald she saw some of Venant’s two-hour livestream and called Miami-Dade police, who responded to her house.

She then gave them a wrong address in Miami, reported the Miami Herald. When police showed up there, residents gave them the address of Venant’s foster home in the suburb of Miami Gardens. 

Officers found the 14-year-old hanging from a scarf fashioned into a noose around her neck and tried to resuscitate her, but without success.

Venant was then rushed to Jackson North Hospital, where doctors pronounced her dead.

According to a brief incident report released by the DCF to the Herald, Venant tied her scarf to a ‘shower glass door frame’ for the purpose of killing herself just after 3am.

The girl’s foster parents were asleep in their bed at the time of the incident, the paper reported.

Venant’s livestreamed death was just three weeks after another girl, 12-year-old Katelyn Nicole Davis, of Georgia, broadcast her own self-inflicted hanging on Facebook, claiming she had been sexually abused by a relative.

Nakia Venant was a native of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and was enrolled in the seventh grade at Young Women’s Preparatory Academy. She is survived by a younger brother.

Similar circumstances: On December 30, Katelyn Nicole Davis (pictured), 12, of Georgia, broadcast her own suicide-by-hanging on FacebookAs news of Nakia’s death spread online, dozens of people took to her Facebook page, under the user name ‘HotHead Nikee,’ to express their condolences and pay tribute to her all-too-brief life.

Among the mourners was Caze and shed light on the girl’s turbulent childhood.

‘I was showing you tough love when u misbehaved,’ she wrote, claiming that Nakia had gone to jail twice, got expelled from two or three schools, had sex, smoked marijuana and drank alcohol.

‘You wasn’t supposed to even have access to Internet as part of your case,’ she went on to say of Nakia. ‘The system has failed us……’

Based on her social media history, Nakia was a prolific Facebook user.

One of her last status updates appeared on her page on the eve of her suicide. Chillingly, the message read: ‘Need Plans For Tmr #CommentsSuggestions’

If you need to speak to a counselor, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 1 (800) 273-8255.

scroll to top