Bloodbath in Chicago:12 people shot dead, 59 injured in a dozen shootings in just 60 hours over the weekend


Twelve people have been shot dead and 59 others injured in Chicago in a horror weekend with authorities describing the streets as a ‘war zone’.

The bloodiest spate of shootings occurred in just a two-hour stretch in the early hours on Sunday, when 30 people were shot between midnight and 3am. Police reported at least 16 separate shooting incidents – with multiple victims at almost all of them.

There were so many trauma victims at Stroger Hospital on Sunday morning that their family and visitors were barred from entering.

Paramedics described the city as a ‘war zone’, while police said it as being one of the most violent weekends of late.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said in a Monday press conference that more needs to be done to hold to hold gunman to account.

‘It is the same people who are pulling the triggers in some of these communities. This isn’t a widespread issue among citizens of the city. This is a small subset of individuals who think they can play by their own rules because they continue to get a slap on the wrist when we arrest them,’ Johnson said.

Jahnae Patterson, 17, Kenny Ivory, 17, Nicholas Cox, 23, and Ron L. Johnson, 50, were among the 11 fatalities over the weekend.

Patterson had been standing on the side walk on the 1300 block of South Millard Avenue in Lawndale, on the Southwest Side, with a group of people when two men walked up to them and opened fire at around 2.35am Sunday.

Patterson was shot in the face and died at the scene. Five other people were injured, including an 11-year-old boy and 14-year-old boy who were both shot in the leg.

A 21-year-old woman was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to her back and arm, while another 17-year-old girl was shot in her arm. A 17-year-old boy, suffered a gunshot wound to his leg and was taken hospital.

Ivory was shot and killed as he rode his bike on the South Side on Sunday afternoon.

Police say the teen had got into an argument with another group of men who were on their bikes at around 4.15pm on the 7600 block of South Union Avenue in the Gresham neighborhood. He was rushed to hospital but died a short time after his arrival.

More at The DailyMail

scroll to top