Good Samaritan ex-prisoner misses job interview, gives up clothing to save car crash victim


An ex-con Good Samaritan left a bus on the way to a job interview to help rescue a man who had rolled his car on the street.

Aaron Tucker was on a bus from Bridgeport, Connecticut to Norwalk for a job interview when he spotted the overturned car in Westport.

Tucker, 32, asked the bus driver to stop so he could help the driver who was trapped in his smoldering car.

Aaron Tucker, pictured, jumped off the bus when he saw the car on its roof in Westport

Tucker, 32, had recently been released from jail on a firearms charge and was on his way to a job interview when he pulled the victim from the car, pictured, which rolled onto its roof

After pulling the victim from the car, Tucker took off his shirt and used it as a tourniquet to stem the man’s bleeding.

As a result of his actions, he missed the job interview for a bus boy position at the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Stamford.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for Tucker’s benefit as a result of his efforts to save a stranger despite needing to get to a job interview. In less than 15 hours, people have donated more than $6,000 to the father-of-one.

Tucker said he wanted a job so he could provide for is son, Aaron Jr, who is living in with her mother.

According to the GoFundMe page: ‘Aaron got off the bus and with the help of three employees of Vautrin Auto Services, rescued the injured man. Aaron went so far as to take the new shirt off his back and wrap it around the injured man’s head.

‘Aaron, despite not having a father in his life as a child, is dedicated to his son, and wants to make a good life for Aaron Jr and his mother. His voice shines when he talks about his Mickey Mouse loving son.

 According to the New York Daily News ‘I got up around 5 o’clock in the morning because I was so excited for the interview.

‘I looked up and saw a car flipped over right in front of the bus, so I ran to try to jump out of the bus. I saw a lot of smoke coming from the car and I just jumped off the bus and ran to the car.’

After saving the man, Tucker explained he did not regret missing the interview.

He added: ‘It didn’t go through my head, because a job can come and go, but a life is only one time. The only thing running through my head is that person in the car could pass away and I could help him.’

Tucker, who is currently living in a half-way house having served half of a 22-month sentence for a weapons charge, has since received several job offers.

According to the Westport News Fire Chief Robert Yost praised Tucker and two other  civilians who helped in the rescue.

He said: ‘That’s really reassuring that people are still willing to step in and help out a fellow citizen.’

scroll to top