TALLAHASSEE – Dr. Elmira Mangum will be installed as Florida A & M University’s 11th president in a weeklong celebration in Tallahassee. The festivities will begin Sept. 28 featuring forums, entertainment, an inauguration, formal gala and Rattler football.
The first woman president of the nation’s largest historically black university is beginning “The Season of Change,” at the institution renowned for its standout research, business, pharmacy and engineering colleges and schools.
Mangum has already launched her Sustainability Institute to find solutions to global socio-economic, ecological and energy issues. She also plans to enhance FAMU’s prominence as a STEM (Science Technology Engineering & Math) institution and improve services to students.
The celebration promises to take in all of the elements of the president’s vision for FAMU highlighted by a gala that has Hollywood glitz, glamour and entertainment. The FAMU family invites everyone to join them on the highest of seven hills in Tallahassee as they commemorate this historic occasion.
Inaugural week schedule:
Sun., Sept 28
- Healthy Families 5k Walk-Run-Roll-Stroll
- Smooth Jazz Concert
Mon., Sept. 29
- Student Production
Tues., Sept 30
- Inaugural Presidential Lecture Series
Thurs., Oct. 2
- Presidential Inaugural Symposium
- An Evening of Artistic Performance
- Student Government Inaugural – Founders Day Kick-Off
Fri., Oct. 3
- Presidential Installation Ceremony
- Community Celebration
- Inauguration Scholarship Gala
Sat., Oct. 4
- President’s Inaugural Pre-Game Rally
- FAMU vs Morgan State Football Game