BY ALLEN A. BUCHANAN, Staff Writer
ST. PETERSBURG — Despite the many attempts to break the back of one of the oldest social programs to train and educate underprivileged and underserved youth in our nation, Job Corps is the proverbial phoenix that has continuously risen from the ashes for 50 years.
The Job Corps 50th Anniversary Community Relations Council Award Luncheon was held last Wed., July 30 to acknowledge their local and national success by honoring those community organizations and individuals who have fought the good fight to give non-traditional students and dropouts a second chance at acquiring job skills for the 21st Century.
The breakdown of Organization and Individual Awards was as follows:
- Elected Official Award – City Council Member, Wengay Newton
- Industrial Council Award – Dwight Wilson, City of St. Petersburg
- Large Corporate Partner Award – St. Anthony’s Hospital
- Corporate Partner Award – Gardner-Watson Decking Inc.
- Agency Award-Juvenile Welfare Board
- Large Non-Profit Award – Pinellas Opportunity Council
- Non-Profit Award – Deuces Live
- Collegiate Partner Award – St. Petersburg College
- Faith Based Award – Pastor Sam Infanzo, St. Pete Dream Center