Man charged with four fatal Chicago restaurant shootings had lost father in shooting 24 hours before

By ASSOCIATED PRESS // DailyMail Online

A 19-year-old man charged with murder in the likely gang-related killings of four men in Chicago had lost his father in another shooting a day earlier in the same neighborhood.

Maurice Harris was arrested on Tuesday and faces four counts of first-degree murder in the March 30 slayings in the South Shore neighborhood.

Two of his alleged victims were found shot to death inside a restaurant, a third was found outside and a fourth was found a block away. They included two brothers whose mother worked at the restaurant.

The deaths were part of gun violence in South Shore that left seven people dead in a 12-hour period.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said last week that the shootings were mostly due to gang conflict.

Commander Brendan Deenihan said Harris is the son of Jerry Jacobs, 37, who was shot on March 29 about a mile away from the restaurant.

Harris is the son of Jerry Jacobs, 37, (above) who was shot on March 29 about a mile away from the Chicago restaurant

‘I don’t know what Harris was thinking, because Harris didn’t tell us what he was thinking,’ Deenihan told reporters at a press conference. ‘A reasonable belief would be that his father got killed, and then subsequently he shoots and kills these four people.

‘I wouldn’t suspect he picked four random people on the street. That wouldn’t make sense to me.’

Harris’ father had 47 arrests on his record and two murder charges, according to authorities.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office identified the victims as brothers Raheem and Dillon Jackson, ages 19 and 20 respectively, and 28-year-old Emmanuel Stokes. The fourth was identified as 32-year-old Edwin Davis.

Raheam Jackson, 19, was shot dead after running from the restaurant. He leaves behind two young children   Dillon Jackson, 20, was shot after running from the restaurant

Brothers Dillon (right), 20, and Raheam Jackson (left), 19, were also shot dead after they ran from the restaurant during the shooting and were later gunned down about a block away

Emmanuel C. Stokes, 28   Edwin Davis, 32,

Gunned down: Emmanuel C. Stokes (left), 28, and Edwin Davis (right), 32, were fatally shot in Nadia Fish and Chicken restaurant after man approached the victims and opened fire

Police say Stokes and Davis were found dead inside the Nadia Fish and Chicken restaurant, Dillon Jackson was found outside and Raheem Jackson was found slumped against a tree a block away.

The Jacksons’ grandmother, Georgia Jackson, has said the two had gone to the restaurant to get food and to see their mother, who had worked there for several years. She said their mother called to tell her about the shooting.

The mother of the two boys wept at the bloody scene. The woman said she watched her sons die from the window of the restaurant.

‘I can’t go on, my life is over. I’m ’bout to … kill myself,’ she told the Chicago Tribune.

Mrs Jackson said this is not the first time her grandsons have experienced gun violence. Dillon had survived a shooting a few years ago, and her 16-year-old grandson was killed in 2011 in a shooting at a fast food restaurant.

Raheam leaves behind two young children.

‘I can’t keep doing this,’ she told the Chicago Sun-Times. ‘I’m losing too many kids.’

At the end of March there had been more than 130 homicides in Chicago in 2017.

Georgia Jackson, 72, is overcome with emotion upon learning that her two grandsons, Raheem, 19, and Dillon Jackson, 20, were found fatally shot in the South Shore neighborhood

scroll to top