Man ‘lucky to be alive’ after being electrocuted by phone charger as he slept

By ASHLEY COLLMAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

A man in Hunstville, Alabama nearly died recently when he was electrocuted by his own cellphone charger.

Like many tech-addicted Americans, 32-year-old Wiley Day sleeps with his cellphone charging in his bed.

On a recent Wednesday night, he fell asleep with the phone nearby but was woken by a jolt that through him from his bed.

‘What I felt through that…I just thought that’s how you die,’ Day told WAAY.

Wiley Day, 32, was electrocuted in his sleep by his cellphone charger and suffered second and third-degree burns 

Doctors say he's lucky to be alive because people can die from 100 volts, and he was hit with 110

He says that the cellphone loosened from an extension cord and the dog tag he was wearing slipped in the cracks and started conducting electricity.

Wiley managed to rip the necklace off but not before suffering second and third-degree burns to his neck and hands.

Doctors say he is expected to recover but that could have died.  Dr Benjamin Fail said that 100 volts can kill a person and Day was hit with 110.

‘He is lucky to be alive,’ Dr. Fail said. ‘Electrocution kills.’

After the brush with death, Day says he’s going to stop sleeping in bed with his phone.

‘Charge your phone away from you,’ Day said. ‘Charge it the next day. It’s not worth your life.’

Day is now speaking out to discourage others from sleeping in bed with their charges

Share the news with your friends!

PinIt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>