Mother of 3 charged with beating son to death, taking his lifeless body on train to Chicago

By Associated Press and Snejana Farberov For

An Illinois woman accused of taking the body of her six-year-old onto a commuter train to Chicago after his beating death last summer has been charged with first-degree murder, four months after the grim incident.

Jamie Jones, 29, of Round Lake Beach, also was charged with concealment of a homicide in the death of Carl Rice Jr. She’s being held in lieu of $3million bail.

Assistant State’s Attorney Steve Scheller told a Lake County judge that an autopsy showed the child was bruised from his face and head, including in his mouth, down to his torso. He also suffered a brain hemorrhage.

Mother charged: Jamie Jones, 29, is accused of taking her 6-year-old onto a commuter train to Chicago after his death last summer has been charged with first-degree murder   Carl rice Jr

‘This was a horrific crime involving the death of an innocent child who was beaten to death at the hands of his own mother,’ he said.

Scheller said Carl suffered severe injuries at the hands of his mother prior to falling asleep on June 30. He said the boy passed away sometime between June 30 and July 1.

Scheller said video shows Jones, who was pregnant at the time with her third child and was accompanied by her nine-year-old daughter, took Carl to the Round Lake Beach Metra station on July 1 to catch a train to Chicago.

The deceased boy was placed inside the station in a corner seat and was propped up with the help of a backpack.

After smoking a couple of cigarettes, Jones allegedly carried the dead boy onto a train and video taken at Chicago’s Union Station shows Jones allegedly carrying the child over her shoulder as if he is asleep, before getting into a vehicle driven by her father.

Family members became aware Carl was not breathing after Jones told her parents that something was wrong with the six-year-old, prompting the woman’s mother to call 911.

Paramedics who responded to the report determined Carl had died.

The Cook County medical examiner ruled the boy died from multiple injuries caused by child abuse, Scheller said.

An autopsy showed Carl (pictured right with sister and mom), was bruised from his face and head, including in his mouth, down to his torso   Jones allegedly messaged his father, telling him she had badly beaten the kindergartner

The autopsy showed that Carl had bruises on his face, arms, chest, buttocks, thighs, skull and the interior of his mouth, reported Chicago Daily Herald. By the time EMS workers responded to the family’s home in Chicago, the kindergartner had been dead for six-to-eight hours and rigor mortis had already set in.

During a preliminary hearing Tuesday, Scheller said Jones admitted to police that she had beaten her son with a belt on June 24 and 25, and slapped him the next day.

According to Scheller, police found a social-media message that Jones allegedly sent to Carl’s biological father, telling him that she had beaten the child, whom she called ‘Chum,’ worse than ever before.

Jones initially told investigators she hit her son six to seven times before his death, prosecutors said. After a four-month investigation, Jones was arrested Saturday on a warrant for failure to appear in court, and then held until murder charges were filed.

Jones is due back in court on November 30. Her nine-year-old daughter and a baby girl who was born in late September are currently living with relatives. A judge barred the mother from having contact with her surviving children.

scroll to top