Mother of black man shot 5 times by police held back from seeing body for hours


The mother of a black teenager who was gunned down by police in south Los Angeles begged to see his body for hours as it lay in the street but was not allowed.

Carnell Snell Jr was killed on Saturday near West Athens in south Los Angeles after running away from police when they attempted to pull him over in what they believed was a stolen car.

Officers chased the teenager round to the back of a house where he was shot and killed shortly before 1pm.  A gun was recovered at the scene.

Monique Morgan begged for hours to be shown her 18-year-old son's body after he was shot dead by police in south L.A. on Saturday  

At around 5pm, Monique Morgan was filmed by the LA Times begging to be allowed through police cordons to see his body.

An on-looker was heard remarking that he had been ‘laying on the ground for over four hours’.

By nightfall the woman had still not been let through to see his body.

Carnell Snell Jr had been running away from police when they chased him She pleaded: ‘Please just let me see my baby,’ in footage obtained by ABC. It’s not clear when Carnell’s body was removed from the scene.

Dozens of Black Lives Matters protesters flocked to the street in fury, claiming the youngster was unjustly killed.

A drummer later arrived to play music for the crowds, softening the tension.

CBS News reported that the teenager had is hands in the air while he was running away from the officers.

Snell’s 17-year-old sister Trenell was nearby when the shooting occurred. She said she saw officers chase her brother and she started running too.

‘At the end of the day, the cops came and shot my brother, killed my brother,’ she told The Los Angeles Times.

LAPD Sgt Barry Montgomery said on Saturday: ‘The officers gave chase, a foot pursuit, and went eastbound at some point on 107th Street to the rear of a residence.

‘It was at that time that the officer-involved shooting occurred.

‘The officers summoned paramedics who responded to scene, and unfortunately the suspect succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.’

The incident came less than a day after a black man was killed after a struggle with police in Pasadena.

About 100 people marched through the streets of Pasadena to protest the death of Reginald Thomas.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials say Thomas was armed with a knife when he struggled with police officers, who used a Taser on him.

After he was handcuffed, police noticed Thomas, who was the father of eight children, wasn’t breathing.

Both officers and paramedics tried to revive him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police tweeted on Saturday that they had recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting

Source: The DailyMail

scroll to top