New Spin on a Classic Sandwich
The traditional grilled cheese, re-imagined
(Family Features) The classic grilled cheese sandwich has been an American favorite for generations. It’s hard to resist toasted, buttery bread and melted cheese. The best way to upgrade a grilled cheese and prevent flavor fatigue is to experiment with new cheeses, spreads and sandwich fillers.
Give your taste buds something new with these tips:
- Use fresh ingredients – Whether it’s tomato, avocado or hearty bread slices, fresh is best. Roman Meal whole grain bread is baked fresh, locally by bakeries across the country. This ensures the freshest loaves are delivered to your grocery store.
- Try new flavors – Choose a less common cheese, like Gruyere or Gouda. Or layer an unconventional spread, like fresh cranberry sauce, onto slices of bread before cooking.
- Boost nutritional value with healthy ingredient swaps – Use fresh produce, like apples or spinach, to add nutrients to your sandwich. Maximize fiber intake by cooking with whole grain bread instead of white bread.
This recipe for Turkey & Brie Grilled Cheese is perfect for an al fresco lunch or a light and healthy dinner. Serve with locally-sourced vegetables, hummus and a glass of freshly squeezed lemonade.
Turkey & Brie Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices Roman Meal bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pear, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces roasted turkey breast, thinly sliced
- Spray medium pan with nonstick spray. Preheat over medium heat.
- Layer cheese, pear and turkey between slices of bread, creating 2 sandwiches.
- Cook sandwiches 3-4 minutes, or until bottom slices of bread are golden brown. Flip sandwiches over and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Ready in Time: