Seattle cops who shot, killed 30-year-old ‘mentally unstable’ woman did not have tasers

By Regina F. Graham For and Associated Press

Charleena Lyles was fatally shot  with three of her four children present after she confronted officers with two knives June 18Two Seattle police officers who shot and killed a 30-year-old pregnant woman each say they fired their weapons as they didn’t have Tasers after the woman allegedly pulled a knife and came after them.

The Seattle Police Department late Friday released transcripts of interviews with the officers involved in the June 18 fatal shooting of Charleena Lyles, the Seattle Times reported.

As the encounter between the officers and the mother of for escalated, one of the officers shouted, ‘Tase her!’

But the other officer replied, ‘I don’t have a Taser,’ according to the police audio of the shooting.

Officers fired their weapons after yelling ‘Get back’ several times.

The two officers say they had no choice but to use lethal force after Lyles allegedly tried to stab Officer Jason Anderson in the stomach and cornered Officer Steven McNew in the kitchen.

Security footage from the building's hallway showed the two officers standing outside before they began speaking with Lyles on June 18. Neither of the two officers had tasers 

Lyles, pictured with her four children, had only recently found out she was three months pregnant with her fifth child

Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole also told the Seattle Times that neither officers had a Taser.

Family members, who previously expressed concerns about her mental health after Lyles threatened officers with long metal shears less than two weeks before the shooting, question why the officers didn’t use nonlethal methods to subdue the petite woman and have suggested race played a role. Lyles was black, and the officers were white.

Her shocking death has left her family and community members outraged as they denounce the deadly use of force on Lyles, who was expecting her fifth child.

‘If worst comes to worst, you could have used a Taser instead of a gun for someone that has three kids inside the house,’ her brother, Domico Jones told KOMO.

The officers responded to the apartment on June 18 after Lyles reported a burglary. Anderson told investigators that the officers were talking with Lyles and he was looking at his notebook when Lyles pulled a knife from about 3 feet away.

Anderson told investigators, according to the transcript, that he ‘was jumping back, uh, kind of sucking my abdomen in trying to avoid getting stabbed in the stomach.’

Anderson said ‘just the look on her face changed completely from when I had been talking to her a second early.’

Anderson said Lyles advanced from around a counter into the kitchen toward McNew, telling investigators that ‘at that moment I was in, in fear that she was gonna try and kill my partner, um, ’cause she was going after him,’ according to the transcript.

‘I don’t know at what point she changed her focus from, from me to Steve, um, but as she started turning the corner to go after Steve, that’s when I, um, that’s when I shot.’

McNew told investigators Lyles had him trapped in the kitchen and was closing the distance between them.

‘And at that point, fearing for what was about to happen, what she would do to me, um, being stuck in that spot, I fired my handgun,’ he told investigators, noting he remembered hearing shots coming from Anderson’s location.

A Seattle police officer cradles one of Lyles' children, with two others in the car, after the woman was shot to death at the Brettler Family Place Apartments at Magnuson Park June 18

‘She hit the floor,’ McNew said. ‘She, I didn’t see her movement, but when she landed on the floor she landed face down.’

Lyles had four children, and three of them – ages 11, 4 and 1 – were at home when she called police.

After the shooting, McNew said, ‘one of the little babies crawls out from behind and right on top of her, her upper body, you know resting his head against her.’

McNew picked up the child, and a third officer who arrived began giving first aid to Lyles.

Along with the transcripts, police also released images of what appear to be kitchen knives as well as a diagram of Lyles’ apartment.

Anderson told investigators he wasn’t carrying a Taser because the battery had died two weeks earlier.

But he said that he wouldn’t have used it in that situation because he was trained to use lethal force when being attacked by someone with a knife.

McNew’s transcript is about 29 pages, while Anderson’s transcript is about 60 pages.

People attend a vigil outside Lyles apartment building in Seattle on June 18

scroll to top