Woman dies on Facebook live from ‘heart problems’ as stunned friends, family watch


A mother of two having a video chat with perhaps thousands of her friends died live on Facebook.

On December 28, Keiana Herndon, 26, was holding her one-year-old son, Rylee, and streaming on Facebook Live from her friend’s house in El Dorado, Arkansas.

She was telling her audience how she would like to go back to school, when witnesses say she suddenly began wiping her face and shaking her head, according to KATV.

One of her viewers, aunt Barbara Johnson, noticed her niece acting strangely.

Keiana Herndon, 26, was talking about her desire to go back to school on Facebook Live while holding son Rylee, one, when she suddenly began having trouble breathing

Keiana Herndon, above, died on Facebook Live. She had been broadcasting while she was with her young son

‘She go to wiping her face and shaking her head, and I was thinking, what’s wrong with Kei? We call her Kei. She then, she fell back and then Rylee picked the phone up and started talking and playing and then I hear [gasping noise], then I heard one more … I didn’t hear nothing else,’ the stunned aunt told the outlet.

The last thing recorded was Herndon’s friend running into the room and calling 911. The devoted mom was rushed to the hospital but it was too late.

A friend said on GoFundMe that Herndon's two sons 'were her world'

Herndon's mother, Mary Morgan, said her daughter had thyroid issues and it 'messes with everything' and led to heart failure

Herndon, an aide at a rehabilitation center, loved to document her life on social media, said friends. But none of them were prepared to see her die on it.

‘Never knew that was going to be the last breath she would take [would be on] on social media live,’ said Johnson.

The original video was removed from Facebook.

Herndon had over 3,400 Facebook friends but it’s unclear how many were watching her video stream.

Her father, Richard Herndon, says he can’t bear to watch the video just yet, according to Arkansas 4 News. ‘I don’t have the strength to watch it right now,’ he said.

Family says that as soon as she died, rumors began circulating about her cause of death, and they want to clear things up.

‘She had thyroid problems. The thyroid messes with everything and it triggered her heart. It’s a tragedy, I know that much, and I know one thing, I would love to have my baby back with me,’ said her mother, Mary Morgan.

An autopsy is to be performed to determine cause of death.

A friend set up a Gofundme has been set up to help her two young boys, Ja’Kylan and Rylee.

scroll to top