Boys, ages 10 and 11, bravely rescue two young children from blazing Florida home

By Associated Press and Zoe Szathmary for MailOnline

Two boys rescued two young children from a blazing mobile home in central Florida, according to authorities.

Isiah Francis, 10, and Jeremiah Grimes, 11, rushed in to a neighbor’s home around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday on West Colonial Drive in Oakland, Orange County after a fire broke out.

The two boys rescued a 1-year-old and an 8-month-old.

Isiah and Jeremiah said the smoke inside the home was so thick they could barely see.

Grimes told NBC affiliate WESH: ‘We looked out the window and we saw flames coming out of the house. (It was) really hot. It felt like 150 degrees in there.

‘I’m just thinking, “Stay calm, keep your mind straight, stay focused on what you’re doing.”‘

He also said: ‘I saved two people’s lives. Like, probably if no one did that, them two would probably be dead or seriously injured.

‘I’m happy. As long as everyone is OK, I’m happy.’

Speaking to ABC affiliate WFTV, Grimes revealed ‘I took the infant, [Isiah] took the older one and we ran back to his house.’

Isiah’s uncle Michael Francis also talked to the local news station.

He said of his nephew: ‘Amazing. Ten years old, to do that, you know, already – he’s got a great future ahead of him.’

As for Isiah, he told CBS affiliate WKMG: ‘I’ve been wanting to [be a fireman] ever since I was five years old.’

Isiah told the television station he knew other children were inside — and that he asked the children’s father if more were in the house, and the man said there weren’t.

Fire officials said two other children, ages 2 and 5, who live in the home were injured.

One was taken to the hospital via medical helicopter.

They were both in critical but stable condition at Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando.

Orange County Fire Rescue said on Twitter that a total of four children and one adult were in the home when the fire broke out.

WKMG reported the state fire marshal is looking into the reason the man didn’t evacuate all the children from the home.

The cause of the blaze hasn’t been determined.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top