Chicago Bears player released by team, arrested for domestic violence twice in 9 months

A defensive tackle for the Chicago Bears has been released by the team after being arrested on domestic violence charges on the West Coast.

Ray McDonald, who signed with the Bears after the San Francisco 49ers released him last year in the wake of a sexual assault accusation, was taken into custody for domestic violence and child endangerment charges.

The 30-year-old University of Florida grad  ‘physically assaulted the victim while she was holding a baby’, according to police in Santa Clara, California.

McDonald was arrested after an altercation between him and his ex-fiancee early Monday morning, his second such incident in less than nine months.

No charges were filed last year after the defensive tackle, who was then still engaged, was arrested for domestic violence in late August.

Though she had visible injury, his then-pregnant fiancee refused to cooperate with investigators.

On Sunday night Police responded to an incident at his house at 3.48am.

McDonald reportedly rents an apartment for his ex-fiancee and his two-month-old baby in Santa Clara and had asked her to leave when he was coming home after going out with friends, according to NBC Bay Area.

He was eventually found at the house of his former San Francisco 49ers teammate Justin Smith and arrested around 7am, according to ESPN.

McDonald’s contract with the Bears was a one-year $1.05million deal, though it contained no guaranteed money.

The arrest and release come 63 days after he was given an opportunity to continue playing by the Chicago team.

We believe in second chances, but when we signed Ray we were very clear what our expectations were if he was to remain a Bears’, the team’s general manager Ryan Pace said in a statement.

‘He was not able to meet the standard and the decision was made to release him’.

McDonald was released by the 49ers in December after an allegation of rape in a case where no charges for filed. He claims the case stemmed from a consensual encounter in his hot tub, and has sued for defamation against the woman who brought it.

At the time of his release, 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said the player had ‘a pattern of poor decision-making’.

The Bears picked him up after the team chairman met with McDonald personally and spoke to his parents.

The team’s chairman had originally vetoed the idea of bringing the controversial player aboard.

His quick release from the team came with added insult from a teammate, offensive lineman Kyle Long, who posted ‘Good riddance’ on his Twitter account.

McDonald did not receive punishment from the 49ers or the NFL for any of his alleged misbehavior.

Source: The DailyMail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top