Greg Hardy has been suspended by the NFL after an incident of domestic abuse that allegedly occurred last year.
Hardy, who signed with the Dallas Cowboys last month, will be forced to sit out the first 10 games of the season and will not receive his salary for these games.
This comes almost one year after Hardy, 25, was convicted by a judge in Charlotte, North Carolina of beating, strangling and threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend, Nicki Holder.
Those charges were later dropped on an appeal when Holder could not be located to testify.
The decision to ban Hardy followed a two-month NFL investigation that started after the dismissal of his domestic violence case in February.
Hardy was informed in a letter by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that the probe determined there was ‘sufficient credible evidence that Hardy engaged in conduct that violated NFL policies in multiple respects.’
Hardy was dropped by his previous team, the Carolina Panthers, because of these charges last season, but was still able to collect his salary during that time, which was roughly $770,000 a week.
‘I understand that I need to step away from football right now and take care of this legal matter,’ Hardy said in a statement after he was cut from the Panthers.
The Panthers had originally agreed to wait to take action until Hardy had a jury trial regarding the incident in May. His previous conviction was the result of a bench trial.
A jury trial that ultimately led to all charges being dropped. Holder told police that Hardy choked her, slammed her against a bathtub, threw her to the floor and threatened to kill her after a fight at his Charlotte condo.
This all came at a time when the league was under heavy scrutiny in the wake of two abuse scandals involving stars Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson.
Many were upset with the punishments those two received, feeling the NFL was too lenient.
Video of Rice punching then-fiancée Janay Palmer went public last Monday, and Peterson was indicted on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child on Friday for an incident in which he hit his son with a switch back in May.
Rice was definitely suspended from the NFL and had his contract terminated by the Baltimore Ravens, while Peterson, who was sidelined by the Minnesota Vikings last Sunday, has now been suspended by the team.
Both men are expected by many to return to play in the 2015, with Peterson back on the Vikings after an NFL decision and Rice winning a wrongful termination suit during the off-season.
Rice even pocketed roughly $1.6million in back pay.