Graphic video released of mentally ill woman who died in police custody after being tasered

Mentally Ill Woman, btb

A video released Thursday shows a prolonged struggle between a naked, mentally ill inmate and five deputies in biohazard suits who shocked her four times with a stun gun before she lost consciousness.

The inmate, 37-year-old Natasha McKenna, died several days after the struggle, prompting a months-long criminal investigation.

Thursday’s release of the 45-minute video by Fairfax County Sheriff Stacey Kincaid comes after the county’s lead prosecutor announced he would not file charges, calling the death a ‘tragic accident’.

A medical examiner also ruled the death accidental, specifically by ‘excited delirium’ associated with use of restraints and a stun gun.

McKenna’s schizophrenia was listed as a contributing factor.

The case remains the subject of a federal civil rights investigation.

The disturbing video, released on YouTube, begins with a deputy explaining that a special Emergency Response Team is being used to take McKenna, who is African-American, out of her cell at a jail in Fairfax and transfer her to a jail in Alexandria, where she had been charged with assaulting a police officer.

The deputy says the team is needed because McKenna had previously attacked one of her jailers and because she had created a biohazard situation by throwing urine at guards.

A report released Tuesday by Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh indicated that deputies were also concerned because medical tests showed McKenna had multiple communicable diseases, including herpes and MRSA.

At the start of the encounter, a deputy says, ‘Natasha, we’re here to take you out,’ and McKenna exclaims, ‘You promised me you wouldn’t kill me!’

The five deputies quickly wrestle the naked woman to the ground.

They struggle for 15 to 20 minutes to get her cuffed and bound in a restraint chair, and warn her that she will be shot with a stun gun if she keeps resisting.

It is unclear why she is not wearing any clothes.

The video shows the Taser being used four times toward the end of the struggle.

The shocks occur over the course of about 17 minutes.

Eventually, the deputies get McKenna restrained in the chair and put a lightweight hood called a ‘spit sock’ on her to prevent her from spitting at them.

A nurse then attempts to take McKenna’s vital signs, though it is unclear whether the nurse gets an accurate reading at first.

A few minutes later, after McKenna is taken to a garage area for transfer, another attempt to take her vital signs goes badly – and deputies begin resuscitation efforts.

The footage shows the nurse first realizing McKenna not breathing around 35 minutes into the video. She had lost consciousness.

Then four days after the incident – on February 7 – McKenna was declared brain dead.

Kincaid expressed her condolences to the McKenna family Thursday, and says she will launch an internal investigation now that the criminal probe is concluded.

She said she released the video because there is ‘no better way for me to share what actually occurred’ with the community.

McKenna’s death was one of two incidents in the county that prompted questions about excessive force by authorities.

In 2013, a Fairfax County police officer shot a man, John Geer, while his hands were above his head during a standoff with police.

The officer was charged with murder last month after a two-year investigation that prompted accusations of stonewalling.

Pete Earley, a mental health advocate who serves on a county commission evaluating police conduct, said he watched the McKenna video and questioned the need to use a Taser on McKenna.

He said it was clear that deputies had McKenna under control during the encounter, even if they were struggling to put her in restraints.

He said the video runs counter to the portrayal in Morrogh’s report that McKenna displayed almost superhuman strength in her battles with deputies.

Despite his concerns, Earley said he was pleasantly surprised by the professional demeanor of deputies, who generally spoke calmly and politely to McKenna during the encounter, and he said he credits Kincaid for taking steps to address the broader problem of mentally ill people being kept in jails when they would be better served in a treatment facility.

Morrogh’s report states that a day before the altercation with Alexandria police that led to her arrest, doctors had sought to have McKenna hospitalized, but were advised by police and two separate magistrates that she did not meet the conditions for hospitalizing a person against her will.

Harvey Volzer, a lawyer representing McKenna’s family, did not immediately return an email seeking comment.

Source: The DailyMail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top