Manslaughter charges dropped against mother who went to club, 8-year-old beat baby to death

An Alabama mother has been cleared of a reckless manslaughter charge after police said her infant daughter was beaten to death by an eight-year-old boy left to look after her while she and a friend were at a club.

Jefferson County District Court Judge Shelly Watkins said in an order filed Thursday that probable cause doesn’t exist to support the charge against 26-year-old Katerra Lewis.

Police have said Lewis and a friend left the 8-year-old boy to babysit five younger children while they went out in October.

Katerra Lewis   Kelci Lewis

Authorities have said the boy slammed Kelci Lewis’ head against a dresser and bit her when she wouldn’t stop crying. His murder case is being handled in juvenile court.

Attorney Emory Anthony says Lewis wasn’t involved in the infant’s death in any way.

during Thursday’s hearing, Judge Watkins called the mother’s actions ‘stupid,’ but her lawyer countered that what she did was not against the law, reported 

Birmingham Police spokesman Sean Edwards said earlier that a six-year-old who was in the home on the night of the alleged murder told officers the 8-year-old boy had beaten and killed Kelci.

The one-year-old suffered severe head trauma and major damage to her internal organs, police said.

Edwards said the eight-year-old was the oldest of six children left alone as their mothers, Lewis and a friend, went to a club on October 11. Lewis’ friend, who is mother to the eight-year-old, has not been charged.

Police will not release the name of the boy or the other children, aged two, four, six and seven, who were left at the home on the night in question and are still in the custody of the state, according to

Katerra Lewis told police on the morning of October 11, a Sunday, that she found her daughter unresponsive in her crib.

The girl was treated at the scene by first responders and was later pronounced dead at a children’s hospital.

During an initial interview, Lewis told police she was home all night, but she eventually admitted that she went out with her friend at around 11pm to a motorcycle club to spend time with her boyfriend.

The 26-year-old came home sometime between 2 and 3am, but it was not until 10.55am that she checked on her baby and found her unresponsive.

Source: The DailyMail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top