Mother charged with son’s death, found driving with remains in car 10 years later

A Virginia woman whose son’s remains were found in the trunk of her car more than 10 years after he was last seen alive has been charged with murder.

Court documents indicate Tonya Slaton, 44, of Richmond was indicted on February 1 in Hampton Circuit Court on a charge of second-degree murder in the death of her son, Quincy Jamar Davis.

Human remains found in a Ford Mustang she was driving on Interstate 64 in Hampton in June were identified as Davis’.

The indictment alleges Slaton killed Davis between July 24, 2004 and July 24, 2005. He would have been 14 or 15 years old at the time, The Virginian-Pilot reported.

Police said Davis was never reported missing.

The indictment alleges Slaton killed Davis (pictured) between July 24, 2004 and July 24, 2005. He would have been 14 or 15 years old at the timeThe medical examiner has not determined the cause of death.

Slaton was pulled over in Hampton while driving on I-64 on June 6, 2015 for having expired tags.

At the time, the trooper, who was conducting a traffic stop, began impounding the vehicle and while taking inventory, discovered a black trash bag in the trunk.

There was a strong odor of rotting flesh permeating from the bag and the body had been double-bagged and sealed with duct tape.

Slaton allegedly threw some clothes on top of the bag, and told the trooper it contained just clothes.

Soon afterwards, she was charged with concealment of a dead body.

Following the arrest, the Office of the Medical Examiner confirmed the remains found in the car were those of Davis.

Davis, who would have now been 25, was last seen in 2004 when he was a seventh grader at Virginia Beach Middle School.

Slaton is set to be arraigned in court next week on the murder charge.

Court and news records showed Slaton had been in trouble previously.

In 1997, she was convicted of misdemeanor assault and battery for injuring Davis when he was six years old, according to The Virginian-Pilot.

According to documents, he was in first grade at the time and had cuts and bruises on his chest and back, and Slaton was sentenced to no jail time on the condition of good behavior for six months.

A Virginia Beach Department of Human Services spokeswoman told The Virginian-Pilot she could not comment on whether child protective services investigated the mother regarding the incident.

In 2002, court records indicate she was charged with domestic assault and battery, however there are few details regarding that incident.

In October 2008, Hampton police were looking for her and her black Mustang after she fired four shots through her boyfriend’s front door.

She had become angry when he tried to break up with her and went and got a gun out of her car, saying ‘neither one of them were going to leave alive’, according to a report about the affidavit in that case.

The boyfriend escaped by climbing out of a window, cutting himself.

Slaton eventually turned herself in and wound up serving the better part of four years of a 15-year sentence for shooting into an occupied dwelling and attempted maiming.

Source: The DailyMail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top