Philadelphia nurse abduction suspect also charged with attempted capital murder of 16-year-old girl

Nearly a month to the day before career criminal Delvin Barnes allegedly abducted a 22-year-old nursing student in Philadelphia, police say he kidnapped, raped and burned a 16-year-old girl in Virginia.

The 37-year-old man is now expected to face federal charges in the November 2 abduction, but first he will be extradited to Virginia in connection to the October 1 kidnapping in Richmond.

Barnes was captured Wednesday in Jessup, Maryland, three days after surveillance cameras caught him shoving Carlesha Freeland-Gaither into the backseat of his Ford Taurus sedan in the Germantown section of Philadelphia.

The missing nursing student was discovered in the suspect’s vehicle three days later, alive but suffering from minor injuries. She was treated at an area hospital and released to her family Thursday.

In the hours after Barnes’ dramatic capture, new details have emerged about his violent past, reflected in his lengthy criminal record.

Delvin Barnes was wanted on an outstanding warrant for attempted capital murder, abduction, forcible rape and malicious wounding with a chemical in Charles City County, Virginia.

The 37-year-old divorced grocery store clerk from Henrico, Virginia, is suspected of kidnapping a 16-year-old girl from Richmond, who was reported missing by her family October 1, according to CNN.

Two days later, the teenager stumbled into a business located two miles away from Barnes’ house, naked, bloodied and covered in third-degree burns.

Charles City County Sheriff’s Office Captain Jason Crawley said that the victim had been doused with bleach and gasoline, and then set alight by her attacker, later identified as Delvin Barnes.

More than a month later, the girl remains in a hospital recovering from her injuries.

When interviewed by police, the 16-year-old said that a stranger struck her in the head with a shovel and stuffed her into the trunk of his Ford sedan – the same vehicle that was seized in Jessup, Maryland, Wednesday evening following an FBI stakeout that resulted in Barns’ arrest.

The assailant then drove the girl down to his parents’ home in Charles City County and sexually assaulted her.

Two days later, the suspect dragged the girl into the backyard, poured bleach and gasoline over her, torched her clothes and dug a hole in the ground, according to police.

‘How do you want to die?’ he asked, the teen told detectives.

When the kidnapper got distracted, the terrified girl used the opportunity to run away, fleeing into the woods.

The girl later told police that in the course of her captivity, her attacker showed her pictures of other girls bragging that he had done the same things to them as he did to her.

Police are now trying to determine if there are more victims out there.

Officials entered DNA evidence collected from the 16-year-old’s body into a national database, and on October 28 – less than a week before the Philadelphia abduction – Delvin Barnes’ name came up.

The 37-year-old supermarket worker has had numerous run-ins with the law over the years, ranging from minor traffic violations to aggravated assault and false imprisonment.

According to court documents, in November 2005, Barnes was arrested for holding his estranged wife captive in her home, repeatedly forcing her to have sex with him, viciously beating and choking her, attacking her parents who came to her rescue and threatening the woman with a knife.

The wife, who had a restraining order against Barnes, was eventually able to run for help, prompting the attacker to flee.

More at The DailyMail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top