Veteran GA cop shot in the back of the head while he searched for drunk suspect in fog

A Georgia police officer has been shot dead by a reportedly drunk gunman who ambushed him and other cops in heavy fog early on Wednesday.

Family members identified the slain Fulton County officer as 48-year-old Terence Avery Green, who had been with the department for 22 years, WSBTV reported.

He was shot in the back of the head as he and other officers responded to reports of a man firing shots near Fairburn at 12.43am. Another officer was shot in the belt area but the bullet hit his radio, leaving him unharmed.

The suspect, 42-year-old Amanuel Menghesha, was shot by other officers and was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he is being treated. His condition is unknown.

The shooting unfolded after officers headed to the Cedar Grove neighborhood early on Wednesday after a 911 call made from inside the suspect’s home reported that he was firing shots.

Neighbors said was going from house to house and banging on doors and firing a long barrel gun, 11alive reported.

When police arrived on the scene, they began searching the foggy streets for Menghesha, who had left his home. As they searched, he began shooting at the officers, police said.

Fulton County Assistant Police Chief Gary Stiles said the officers were forced to act in dark and foggy conditions.

‘They were trying to do their job, they were trying to protect this neighborhood from someone who was shooting,’ he told reporters at the scene. ‘And they had no other option but to do their job. And the way it appears to me, they were ambushed without warning.’

One of the officers was struck in the back of the head. He was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 4.30am.

‘This is not the first officer we have lost, and the men and women who work for this department are going to be heartbroken,’ Stiles said.

The officers responded with their own fire and hit the suspect. He was alert and conscious when he was transported to hospital, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported.

Another officer was shot in the belt area but was saved when his radio was struck instead and shattered, WSBTV reported. He did not require any medical attention.

The station reported that the Menghesha was known to the police. They had previously responded to reports that he was intoxicated.

Earlier records show he had been arrested for theft and for domestic violence incidents. Employment records show he was in the Army.

Stiles said they do not believe there are any other suspects in the case and that the weapon has been recovered from the scene.

Alfred Printup, who lives in the neighborhood, was at work but on the phone to his wife and could hear the gunshots ring out.

‘I just want to thank that police officer who gave his life to keep my family safe,’ he told 11alive.

The police department and Georgia Bureau of Investigation continue to investigate.

According to the Fulton County Police Department’s website, the slain officer is its first officer killed in the line of duty since April 2003.

Source: The DailyMail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top