The Pinellas Diaspora Arts Project brings three weekends of art, panels and a Community Tech Day.
PINELLAS COUNTY — Pinellas Diaspora Arts Project (PDAP) hosts the 2nd Tampa Bay Afrofuturism Festival (TBAFF), Nov. 3-19, with free pop-up events throughout St. Pete, Clearwater, Largo, and Tampa.
This year’s festival runs the first three weekends of November, bringing together visual artists, youth, neighborhood associations, families, tech experts, music and theater presenters, educators, and filmmakers to explore the past, present and future of Tampa Bay’s Black and Brown community.
This year’s theme is “Bridges: Future/Present, Future/Past,” which seeks to bridge generations, experiences, communities, and mindsets. There will be an art show by the same name opening on Nov. 4 at The Studio@620, with a dance performance by Katurah Robinson celebrating the opening from 6-8 p.m., and an artist panel on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 2 p.m. at the Studio.
Panel 1: Black Philanthropy at the Woodson Museum, Friday, Nov. 10: Carl Lavender Jr (moderator), Terri Lipsey Scott, Leigh Davis, Anysia McDowall, Harold Bryant Jr, Christopher Hackney
Panel 2: Black Maths: The African Roots of Math and Technology at Childs Park Rec., Saturday, Nov. 11: Erica Hardison (moderator), JerJuan Green, Brian Peret, Mike Milner, Tara Fowler, Remi Sammy
Panel 3: Bridges Art Exhibit Panel at the Studio@620, Sunday, Nov. 12: Erica Sutherlin (moderator), Coral Marshall, Gary L Lemons, Vivia Barron, John Gascot, Boyzell Henry, Debbie Garrett (panel may change due to scheduling).
There will be a Community Tech Day on Saturday, Nov. 11, at the Childs Park Rec, featuring a digital wallet class and three hours of hands-on AI, 3D, and VR technology sessions for families. You must register at TBAFF.COM.
- Friday, Nov. 3: 8-12 midnight: Opening Night: Soul Train Dance Party (ages 18 and up); Artz 4 Life, 1751 Kings Hwy., Clearwater (register at COM)
- Saturday, Nov. 4: 6-8 p.m.: Bridges: Future/Present, Future/Past, opening celebration Studio@620, 620 1st Ave. S, St. Pete
- Sunday, Nov. 5: 6-9 p.m., “A Mothership Connection: Celebrating George Clinton” with DJ Supa Dave, Urban Drinkery, 2184 9th Ave. S St. Pete
- Friday, Nov. 10: 6:15-8:30 p.m. – “Black Philanthropy: A Panel & Discussion,” The Woodson Museum of Florida, 2240 9th Ave. S, St. Pete (with opening performance by Jai Hinson & Artz 4 Life)
- Saturday, Nov. 11: 10:30-4 p.m., COMMUNITY TECH DAY, Childs Park Rec, 4301 13th Ave. S, St. Pete (register at COM)
- 5-9 p.m. – “Bridges” Exhibit, 2nd Saturday Art Walk Studio@620, 1st Ave. S, St. Pete
- 6 pm-10:30 p.m. – For Grownups Only: Afrofuturism Kiki Ball, Southern Nights,1401 E 7th Ave., Tampa
- Sunday, Nov. 12: 2-4 p.m., Bridges Exhibit Artist Panel, Studio@620, 620 1st Ave. S, St. Pete
- Friday, Nov. 17: 6-10 p.m. – Afrofuturists Paint n’ Party, Artz 4 Life, 1751 Kings Hwy., Clearwater (register at COM)
- Saturday, Nov. 18: 3 – 4:30 p.m. – Staged Play Reading, “AQ&REE: BROTHER FIRE, SISTER FLY” (ages 16+), Creative Pinellas, 12211 Walsingham Rd, Largo
- 8-11 p.m., “Jazz/Hip Hop Showcase,” Catalyst on the Deuces, 903 22nd St. S, (register at COM)
- Sunday, Nov. 19: 12-8 p.m., “Black Futurists: The Sun RA/Zora Film Festival,” The Factory, St. Pete, 2622 Fairfield Ave. S, St. Pete
The Tampa Bay Afrofuturism Festival is made possible by major support from The Gobioff Foundation and The SOW Fund at Pinellas Community Foundation, as well as the generous support of Benchmark Brokerage, Market Road Films, Creative Pinellas, Green Book of Tampa Bay, and many individual donors; and sponsorship by The Woodson African American Museum of Florida, The Studio@620, Artz 4 Life Academy, Childs Park Neighborhood Association and Childs Park Rec, Urban Drinkery, Catalyst on The Deuces, Southern Nights in Tampa, Clearwater Urban Leadership Coalition, Mitchem Services, and The Factory St. Pete.
About Pinellas Diaspora Arts Project, Inc.,
Formed in June of 2021, PDAP is a framework and collective created by and for Black and Brown Artists to support, encourage, and promote Black and Brown Arts and Artists in Tampa Bay while offering health and wellness events for youth and families.