We’ve made it easy for you!
• Mentors meet with students during lunch once a week for thirty-minutes, and only when school is in session.
• Mentors attend a two-hour workshop, given plenty of resources and activity ideas.
• District and school personnel are always on hand to support you, and answer all your questions.
• A mentor’s most important job is to show up, listen and be a caring friend.
• Conversation starters are as easy as talking about your: favorite foods, hobbies, what’s on your bucket list, and what it’s like to be a kid!
Students who have mentors are more likely to graduate from high school, enroll in college or a vocational school, and are more willing to participate in sports, and other afterschool activities. With renewed confidence students with mentors hold leadership roles in school and are better able to advocate for themselves.
These positive relationship outcomes benefit not only the student, but their families, the mentor and the community.
In addition to the student’s parents; another consistent presence in a child’s life can make all the difference in the world.
Mentor Strategies Workshop Volunteers are provided useful information about being a mentor, who offers encouragement. Participants will learn PCS mentoring policies and procedures, effective listening skills, goal setting, communication skills and relationship building.
Attendance is required for all new Pinellas County mentors.
Please register in advance. To register, call the Office of Strategic Partnerships, Family & Community Relations: 727-588-5050 or email Michelle Roberge at email@example.com
August workshop schedule:
Wednesday, Aug. 17 – 2-3 p.m. at Cross Bayou ES 7401 54th Ave. N, St. Petersburg
Wednesday, Aug. 17 – 3-5 p.m. at the City of St. Pete Water Resource Building, Conf. Rm. 1650 3rd Ave., N, St. Petersburg
Thursday, Aug. 18 — Take Stock in Children Workshop 4-5:30 p.m. in the Pinellas Education Foundation Wells Fargo Room, 12090 Starkey Road Largo
Thursday, Aug. 18 – 12-1 p.m. Pinellas County Schools Administration Building, 301 Fourth Street S.W. Largo
Tuesday, Aug. 23 – 4-6 p.m. Pinellas Education Foundation Wells Fargo Room, 12090 Starkey Road Largo
Thursday, Aug. 25 — 12:30-1:30 p.m. at the St. Pete College Downtown Campus, 244 2nd Ave. N, St. Petersburg — Community Room: 210
Workshops are scheduled throughout the year, visit pcsb.org/Page/461for more dates and times.