Little ones (and big ones too) will have fun making these adorable Easter Lamb Carrot Cupcakes. Easter is a special time for bringing families together. Make some memories happen in the kitchen when you get hands on with these sweet cupcakes made with Dixie Crystals Sugar. Marshmallow lambs sitting atop moist carrot cupcakes on a bed of green coconut grass are a sure way to sweeten any family gathering.
For more recipes to add fun and flavor to your Easter festivities, visit www.dixiecrystals.com.
Easter Lamb Carrot Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- Green food coloring
- Royal Icing
- Black food coloring
- 1 bag regular size marshmallows
- 1 bag miniature marshmallows
- 24-36 pink jelly beans
- 24 black jelly beans
- 12-16 hard candy caramels
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place 16 cupcake liners in cupcake or muffin tin and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs and vegetable oil until well blended. Add sugar, salt and vanilla; mix well.
- Add carrots, pineapple and nuts and combine well. Stir in flour mixture.
- Scoop into paper cups about 2/3 full. (May make more depending on size.)
- Place in oven and bake until center of cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed or inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
- For frosting, mix cream cheese and soft butter on low speed until blended. Add one cup powdered sugar and mix on low speed. Gradually add remaining powdered sugar and mix on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix well. Set aside covered in refrigerator.
- Place coconut in bowl and add drop of green food color, mix by gloved hand until color is well distributed. (Add touch of yellow if color is too harsh.)
- Fill piping bag or food storage bag fitted with medium round decorating tip with cream cheese frosting.
- Prepare 2 small paper piping bags, set aside and prepare royal icing. (Royal icing recipe will result in more than needed for recipe, so divide ingredients in half.) Fill piping bag with white royal icing. Take about 3 tablespoons white royal icing, make it black and fill into piping bag. Set aside.
- Using cream cheese frosting pipe generous circle of frosting onto cupcake.
- Cut large marshmallow crosswise in half. Lay one and a half large marshmallows horizontally onto cupcake. Pipe thin layer of cream cheese frosting onto marshmallows.
- Starting at bottom surround large marshmallows with miniature marshmallows. Pipe a little cream cheese frosting onto first layer of mini marshmallow and stack another layer of mini marshmallows. Continue until completely covered.
- Press green coconut onto edges of cupcake.
- Position cupcake so circle side of large marshmallow faces you.
- For head, place hard caramel onto top edge of large marshmallow and ensure it is resting onto miniature marshmallows. (You can remove some marshmallows to fit.)
- For ears, cut pink jelly bean lengthwise in half. Pinch beans to make pointy. Place next to head and use a little cream cheese frosting to make them stick.
- Cut both sides of black jelly beans to create feet. Cut black jelly bean lengthwise in 4 to create tail.
- Using white royal icing pipe eyes, followed by black. Pipe with black royal icing for nostrils.
- Notes: When measuring flour, avoid firmly packing measuring cup. Mixing frosting on high will make it runny and too soft.
Dixie Crystals Sugar