PINELLAS COUNTY — If you are evacuating to a public shelter, pack your essentials, but pack light as space is limited. It is possible you may only have a space that measures 5 feet by 2 feet. Remember, a public shelter is not a cruise ship, it is a life boat with the mission to save lives.
Suggested items for a “go bag”
- Medications and copies of prescriptions
- Nonperishable food
- Special dietary food that is nonperishable
- Several gallons of drinking water to keep in your vehicle. A minimum of one gallon per person.
- Bedding for a small space
- Infant or child necessities (wipes, diapers, bottles)
- Personal hygiene items
- Change of clothes
- Quiet games, toys or reading materials
- Important papers and valid ID
- Cash and a phone list
If you are evacuating to stay with friends or relatives or in a host home, take your “go bag” and ask in advance what kind of space you’ll have for your possessions and vehicles.
Prepare your home to leave
Regardless of where you are evacuating, before you leave your home, be sure to do the following:
- Take your valuables and important papers with you
- Turn off all utilities (water, electricity, gas) at the main switch
- Lock windows and doors
- Fill your gas tank
- Advise friends or relatives of where you are going