D-SNAP provides food assistance for individuals and families impacted by Hurricane Ian and who are not receiving food assistance benefits through the regular Supplemental Nutrition Program.
TALLAHASSEE – The Department of Children and Families (DCF) Secretary Shevaun Harris announced that Florida’s Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) application has been approved. D-SNAP provides food assistance for individuals and families impacted by Hurricane Ian and who are not receiving food assistance benefits through the regular Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP).
DCF will implement d-SNAP in phases and by county, with Pinellas County dates Monday, Oct. 17 through Sunday, Oct. 23. All applicants require pre-registration. To ensure the fastest service to households who are eligible to receive benefits, DCF will begin the first phase by offering a phone option.
In the coming weeks, DCF will host in-person D-SNAP events for residents who cannot participate by phone. The locations for in-person D-SNAP events will be announced soon.
“Our department is working around the clock to provide critical resources to Florida families impacted by Hurricane Ian,” said Harris. “Our goal is to provide families with support as quickly as possible. We encourage those in the impacted counties to take advantage of the virtual/telephonic option so that there would be no need to attend an in-person event.”
Who is eligible for D-SNAP?
To qualify for D-SNAP benefits:
- Applicants must NOT be receiving regular SNAP benefits
- Applicants must have been living or working in a disaster-declared county at the time of Hurricane Ian
- Applicants must have suffered a disaster-related lost such as:
– Damage to their home(s) or self-employment property
– Loss of food
– Reduction or loss of income
– Other disaster-related expenses
- Applicants must meet financial eligibility requirements
What benefits are available through D-SNAP?
- Eligible recipients who participate in the telephonic D-SNAP event will receive an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card by mail that can be used to purchase food at authorized USDA food retailers.
- The EBT card cannot be used for alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or non-food items.
How do I apply for D-SNAP?
- Pre-registeronline by visitingMyFLFamilies.com/DSNAP
- Pre-registration isONLY available for counties designated in each phase. View the Phase Schedule by County below.
- Verification is required for certain elements of the application.
- Eligibility can be determined more quickly and easily if a state driver’s license or identification number and a Social Security number are provided.
- Pre-registration will only be open for counties listed in the current phase.
- Residents who are unable to pre-register online can visit one of the D-SNAP event locations in person when they are open.
- After online pre-registrationis complete, applicants must complete a phone interview by calling the D-SNAP Call Center or attend an on-site event at a later date.
- Applicants may only call during the designated dates and operating hours for their county.
- Phone interview times are designated based on the first letter of the applicant’s last name.
- See Phase Schedule by County for details.
- D-SNAP Call Center: 850-663-1919, Hours: 7-5 p.m. EST
PHASE ONE: Schedule by county
- Online pre-registrationwill be OPEN for Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Hardee, Lee, Sarasota, and Polk Counties from Monday, Oct. 10 at 12:01 a.m. through Sunday, Oct. 16 at 11:59 p.m.
- Pre-register online by visiting com/DSNAP
- After pre-registrationis complete, applicants in the Phase One Schedule must call the D-SNAP Call Center at 850-663-1919 between 7-5 p.m. EST on the designated day listed below to complete a phone interview.
- Last name begins with A-F: Call on Thursday, Oct. 13
- Last name begins with G-N: Call on Friday, Oct. 14
- Last name begins with O-Z: Call on Saturday, Oct. 15
- Any last name: Call on Sunday, Oct. 16
PHASE TWO: Schedule by county
Counties: Pinellas, Flagler, Highlands, Manatee, Orange, and St. Johns
Pre-Registration Dates: Monday, Oct. 17 through Sunday, Oct. 23
Telephonic Dates: Thursday, Oct. 20 through Sunday, Oct. 23
PHASE THREE: Schedule by county
Counties: Hillsborough, Lake, Osceola, Putnam, Seminole, and Volusia
Pre-Registration Dates: Monday, Oct. 24 through Sunday, Oct. 30
Telephonic Dates: Thursday, Oct. 27 through Sunday, Oct. 30
The Department will hold in-person D-SNAP events for residents who cannot participate by phone. On-site locations will be announced soon. Residents who live or work in one of the eligible counties in phase two and three cannot pre-register until D-SAP is announced for these counties.
Visit MyFLFamilies.com/HurricaneIan to learn more.