PINELLAS COUNTY — Every year, Pinellas County Schools creates new learning opportunities for students. Here are some of the many new opportunities for the 2021-22 school year:
Centers support students with reading challenges
Pinellas County Schools serves all students with reading challenges, including dyslexia. In recent years, Pinellas County Schools began providing specialized programming developed for students who have dyslexia and other specific reading difficulties.
- In 2019, the school district opened a new Center for Literacy Innovation at Elisa Nelson Elementary School in Palm Harbor. The center provides a structured, systematic and multisensory approach to literacy instruction aimed at empowering and challenging students.
- This year, Pinellas County Schools is launching a new Center for Literacy Innovation at Midtown Academy in St. Petersburg for students in grades 1-5.
- PCS is also starting the Center for Literacy Innovation at Palm Harbor Middle School.
More options for deep study in middle school
Pinellas County Schools is increasing opportunities for students to participate in Pre-Advanced Placement courses at the middle school level.
- Pre-AP World History and Geography will be offered at 21middle schools, 10 more schools than last school year.
- Pre-AP Art courses will be offered at 12middle schools, seven more than last year.
Increased opportunities for advanced academics and future planning:
- Six new Pre-Advanced Placement courses (Algebra 1, Geometry and Statistics, English 1, English 2, Biology, and Chemistry) will be offered for the first time at five high schools.
- PCS is launching College and Career Planning Centers at four more high schools: East Lake, Lakewood, Osceola Fundamental, and Seminole high schools. Centers are also available at Boca Ciega, Clearwater, Gibbs, Largo and Pinellas Park high schools, with plans to open centers at all high schools in the coming years.
U.S. Coast Guard launches new JROTC program at Pinellas Park High
The school district is starting a new United States Coast Guard Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) program at Pinellas Park High School. The Coast Guard JROTC program teaches leadership, citizenship, and nautical science to high school students. The Coast Guard currently operates just two JROTC units. The program is one of two new programs launching in the U.S. this school year.
GROWING DIGITAL OPPORTUNITIES
PCS expands laptop initiative
In the upcoming school year, Pinellas is expanding its one-to-one digital device initiative to serve students in grades 3-10. The plan, called PCS Connects, is aimed at providing students with laptop computers that they can use in-school and at-home. Students can use the devices for classroom learning, research, creative exploration and collaboration. Wi-Fi hotspots will be available for checkout for families who don’t have adequate internet service.
District provides more digital learning opportunities
The school district will continue Level Up digital learning opportunities for students and families. Options include science, technology, engineering and math activities, reading and writing tools, virtual museum tours and test-taking strategies. All Level Up sessions are free and can be accessed at pcsb.org/levelup.
Program helps students plan for the future
Naviance is A College, Career and Life Readiness program that helps students in grades 6-12 plan for life after high school. The program allows students self-paced opportunities to:
- Learn about their strengths, interests, and learning styles.
- Match careers, colleges and majors to their unique characteristics, academic profile and
- Build their academic progression plan and analyze whether it aligns with entrance requirements for their choice colleges.
- Search for local and national scholarships.
Middle and high school students have one class period per quarter to explore and complete the tasks and lessons in Naviance. They can access Naviance anytime, anywhere, by logging in through Clever. Students can contact their school counselor for more information.